cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Giacomo Pati <giac...@apache.org>
Subject Re: deploying and updating a cocoon site
Date Wed, 21 May 2003 16:41:41 GMT
On Wed, 21 May 2003, Geoff Howard wrote:

> At 07:19 AM 5/21/2003, you wrote:
> >Le Mercredi, 21 mai 2003, à 13:07 Europe/Zurich, Giacomo Pati a écrit :
> >
> >>...Sure, but the XConfTool files are much more compact and readable to
> >>average
> >>people as a hole xslt file. We build hole deployable Cocoon apps using that
> >>instead of xslt's.
> >
> >I see your point - if XConfTool is sufficient for one's need (or one wants
> >to expand it), all the better! It is certainly easier to grasp than XSLT
> >if one does not know either of them.
> >
> >What would be useful though (and what I was suggesting to Miles) is an
> >easy way to plug "configuration patches" in the build process through
> >local.build.properties, I don't think this is possible now.
> >
> >-Bertrand
>
> This is exactly what I started working on last night.  You can indeed either
> add or replace nodes with XconfTool, and it works well.  There was a recent

As well as remove nodes. It can also add attributes or replace attribute values
(the 'add-attribute' attribute might be misleading in that)

> change
> which allowed modifying web.xml in this way as well, and my first step has

I had to change it to support pre-saving DOCTYPEs because we now change web.xml
and jetty configurations and and ... as well in our projects by ant build
scripts.

> been to add a ".xweb" file to the database and hsql block that adds the
> driver info at build time.  Next step will be to modify config for uploads.
>
> Anyone see a problem with this?  As this is not an architectural level change,
> I'm hoping to sneak this in before 2.1 reaches beta.

Go for it.

> By the way, at the moment I'm stuck on the fact that the xconf tool (or the
> xml
> library it calls actually) is not trying to resolve the DTD for web.xml, and
> I'm not quite clear how to get it to use an entity catalog (though David C.
> has
> given me a hint that I'm not yet sure how to apply).

I can't give you any hint regarding catalog resolving.

Giacomo