cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Giacomo Pati <giac...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Status of XMLForm in Cocoon
Date Tue, 20 May 2003 13:58:18 GMT
On Tue, 20 May 2003, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> Le Mardi, 20 mai 2003, à 15:15 Europe/Zurich, Giacomo Pati a écrit :
>
> > On Tue, 20 May 2003, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> >
> >> Both are suboptimal options. A fork is a bad thing and unfortunately
> >> you seem to be caught in its consequences.
> >
> > I disagree. A fork can be healthy sometimes and if you have a healthy
> > community
> > around the forked stuff you'll move ahead faster.
>
> Even if both branches of the fork stay active? I doubt it, as in this
> case there is a division of the available forces.

Forces don't could much in OSS. Look at the Tomcat projects (we have three now).
Even if they only look like different versions they are forks (at least for the
3.x and 4.x version).

> I'd agree if the plan is to somewhate reintegrate the forked stuff into
> the main project - the forked part remains dormant in the main project
> until it is sufficiently improved to come back as a better component.

Well, someone else mentione the low traffic on the xmlform list which indicates
a small or non existant community. Another mentioned a reason for Ivelins fork
because he don't wanted to care about ideas from the Cocoon community. If the
xmlform project needs too long to come up with stuff that can be integrated into
our code base someone, sooner or later, will resume the work on the 'dormant
parts'.

Giacomo