cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Savory <and...@luminas.co.uk>
Subject RE: [OT] What is OSS [was: Cocoon Stammtisch]
Date Tue, 20 May 2003 11:00:05 GMT
On Tue, 20 May 2003, Arjé Cahn wrote:

> - If the codebase is not freely available (according to the 10 OSI
> rules), then it's not open source (== not OSI Open Source).

Agreed, though I prefer the simpler FSF 4 rules.

> - What you pay for should be the *support on* the open source software.
> This includes documentation, tools, updates, etcetera. It's like taking
> an insurance. You can't pay for the Open Source Software itself (that
> wouldn't make sense), but you pay for the support and security that
> someone will keep it running for you.

I disagree. Why shouldn't people pay for Open Source Software? This is a
common misconception. Just because it's Free doesn't mean it's free ;-)

We can't rely purely on people hacking on code for free / for fun to
develop all software. There needs to be someone to pay the people hacking
on code. Coders need to make a living! Though a lot of developers do this
in their spare time, there's just as many doing it for a living.

So I don't think it's right to say "What you pay for should be the
*support on* the open source software". Why shouldn't people pay for
development of the software itself?

> Of course, this is our opinion. Discussion would be appreciated.

I suspect we're straying off-topic for cocoon-dev, though.

Andrew.