cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephan Michels <step...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE RESULTS] allow redirects in handle-errors
Date Wed, 07 May 2003 14:10:26 GMT

On Wed, 7 May 2003, Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Stephan Michels wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 7 May 2003, Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> >

> >>Folks,
> >>
> >>Here are the vote results about allowing redirects in handle-errors (see
> >>[1]) :
> >>+1 : Sylvain, Bertrand, Carsten
> >>-1 : Stephan, Nicola Ken, John, Pier, Peter
> >>-0 : Stefano, Torsten
> >>
> >>The result is clear : redirects should not be allowed in handle-errors.
> >>
> >>So I will undo my changes.
> >>

> >Not so clear as you think, I thinking about to revert my -1.
> >
> >Especially one case, is not clear for me. For example if you have '**/*.gif' and
you got an exception, and return a error page. In
> >this case a redirect make sense? Or am I wrong?
> >

> Here we go again ;-)
>
> Can you elaborate more on why should a redirect be needed for a gif if
> it's not needed for a html page ?
>
> But I won't refrain you from changing your vote ;-)

If you have an algorithm/code to avoid endless loops, then I have nothing
against a redirect.

The only problem I see with this kind of problems is that people comes
crying, if their webapp crashes because of this trap, and blame Cocoon for
it. Same story as for Windows ;-) Windows is not so restrictive, and you
can do more wrong.

Stephan.