cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Matthew Langham" <mlang...@s-und-n.de>
Subject RE: [OT] What is OSS [was: Cocoon Stammtisch]
Date Tue, 20 May 2003 06:22:36 GMT
> If I buy a product, that comes with source code (plenty of them), but not
> allowed to re-distribute/resell, is this Open Source Software??

Yes. The ("I can use this any way I want") term does not say a thing about
what you can then actually do with the stuff (or even whether you had to pay
for everything in the first place). A common misconception.

Today it is used very "flexibly" and the only "fact" you can read out of the
use is that you get the source code.

> FYI, OpenSMS portray in their material "OSS license", but I got
> the news today
> that;
> 1. The product cost Euro 30.000.
> 2. Comes with source
> 3. Not allowed to resell the product, only the Value-Add.
> 4. Not allowed to redistribute the source.

The truth is in the licence (see also: http://www.opensource.org/licenses/).
However, even in this case, being able to purchase the source may also be an
advantage when compared to a commercial product that comes without the
source.

Matthew

--
Open Source Group       Cocoon { Consulting, Training, Projects }
Tel:+49-5251-1581-30  mlangham@s-und-n.de - http://www.s-und-n.de