cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@s-und-n.de>
Subject RE: [RT] Access to the object model
Date Thu, 22 May 2003 06:37:52 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> I'm big time with Sylvain here.
>
> IoC is also defensive programming: I don't give you access to stuff that
> you can abuse.
>
> not *you*, Carsten, but others will.

Agreed.

> In a future where cocoon development will be distributed in various
> places without knowledged people like us stopping all abuses when they
> start, we must distill this knowledge into the API or Cocoon will become
> an architectural mess (it already is, in some parts, in fact we'll have
> to cleanup the object model one day)

Ok.

> >>So, what about implementing this Context thing then?
> >>

> > +1 from me ;-)
>
> I'm sorry, but I'm still -1.
>
> An avalon component should *NOT* have access to the cocoon object model.
> There should be something else in between glueing the two.
>
> Now, prove me wrong.

:) Sorry, I'm a little bit clueless about how this glueing could look like.
What do you not like about the following approach?
If a component implements Contextualizable it gets the Context object.
Via the context object it can get the object model by a defined key.

Or we could restrict the access to destinct objects in the object model,
like request and response.

What do you think?

Carsten