cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@s-und-n.de>
Subject RE: Regarding Excalibur XMLUtil and Store
Date Sun, 11 May 2003 22:16:23 GMT
Hi,

here is my -1 to move XMLUtil or Store or any other common component
back to Cocoon.
I think Jeff and Nicola Ken have already given some good arguments
against the move.

I really think the answer is plain simple: common components do belong
to a project (or subproject) or Avalon. And nowhere else.

I'm really wondering what's the purpose of moving things is? A long time
ago many in Cocoon and Avalon gave their +1 for moving common components
to Avalon. Now some of them want to move them back. Strange. There was
no -1 at that time.

And everytime you mention Avalon the first question you get is: "What
components are already available?" - So a common repository for
components which is somehow part of Avalon is very important. Noone
wants to first download Avalon and then some parts of Cocoon and some
parts of Struts or James or whatever to get common components. This
absolutely doesn't make sense for me.

And yes, many users are using xmlutil and store outside of cocoon.

I think, we should really avoid rediscussing such things and keep
our focus on the important issues. We have a long todo list and
again renaming and moving things is really not helpfull here.

And it's not a matter of who has write access to a repository and
which emails are send.

Carsten