cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@s-und-n.de>
Subject RE: [RT] Access to the object model
Date Wed, 21 May 2003 09:50:51 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> >I totally agree with you and actually I wanted to provocate a
> reaction or answer why the static method is really that bad.
> >

> Because static methods give the feeling of some global variable, even if
> a ThreadLocal actually hides behind it.

Yes, using a ThreadLocal it's not that static any more.

> >Now, I know, IoC is great and I have the *feeling* that the
> static approach is not good, but I don't have a real reason other
> than saying: "It's not IoC".
> >

> Mmmh... yes, it's not IoC. I don't have anything else but bad feelings
> about static methods for now, but I'm wondering how this will fit with
> blocks : the strong separation between blocks may lead us to want
> different environments between different blocks, and having a single
> static entry point may make it difficult to implement cleanly this
> separation, while - each block having its own container - going through
> the Context will make it trivial and controlled.

Yes.

> >I personally would like to have both ways: using the context
> (=IoC) and also the static way for places where IoC is not possible.
> >

> Ah, so next problem : where isn't IoC possible ?

:) I knew you would ask this, so ehm..yes..

Now, I personally like writing simple code, so I like writing a component
that stores some data in the object model. Now, in order to retrieve
the data, I don't want to lookup the component again, but I want
to directly query the object model for it. So, I guess, it's my
personal problem and it enforces you to always use components to
get and set data. And I guess, I'm the only one again who wants to
have more freedom when writing code...

So, what about implementing this Context thing then?

Carsten