cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@s-und-n.de>
Subject RE: Regarding Excalibur XMLUtil and Store
Date Tue, 13 May 2003 16:03:27 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote
> I thought it was obvious that community around code is an important
> thing for an open source project. I guess it's still not that obvious.

At least for me it's obvious :)

I agree that the community for those components is very small, but it's
not automatically bigger because the components have moved back to Cocoon.
Why should people that currently don't care about those components care
only because the code lies somewhere else?
Perhaps the chance is bigger that a community will be built if the
components are in Cocoon, but that's not for sure.

<half joke>
With the same reasons, we could move avalon and the container implementation
to Cocoon as well, because we care most of the development (especially
when you think of the real blocks.
</half joke>

> I aknowledge the two -1 but I will continue to think that any part that
> cocoon is based on which is not backed up by a community is a potential
> harm in the long run.

Agreed.

> And no, ignoring the issue won't make it go away.

Yes, but I think that building up the community in Avalon is the "correct"
way to try.

I think we all agree that usually or in theory common components should be
somewhere in Avalon. So I guess this answers the question where the
components
belong.
That those components don't have a real community is a different point and
can imho not be solved by moving them back to Cocoon.
Perhaps I'm wrong, I don't know.

Carsten