cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@codeconsult.ch>
Subject Re: Status of XMLForm in Cocoon
Date Tue, 20 May 2003 12:23:26 GMT
Hi Sylvain,

Le Mardi, 20 mai 2003, à 13:38 Europe/Zurich,
<Sylvain.Thevoz@swisscom.com> a écrit :
> ...In your opinion, XMLForm is going to be forgotten from the Cocoon
> team...

I didn't say that - what I said is that this *might* happen unless
there is a concrete move from the xmlform.org team (or some third
party) that allows XMLForm to stay alive here without needing two
parallel code bases. Again, merging code won't work, using external
components can work.

What might also happen is that the current Cocoon xmlform block evolves
independently of xmlform.org. Would be a plain fork then, sad and
unproductive.

It's more a question of people and communities than a technical problem.

> So, what is the best for people who use this solution at this time?
> - go to xmlform.org, but we don't have Cocoon features anymore (is it
> possible to have both?)
> - stay inside Cocoon but, as you said, the project doesn't seem to
> move forward (actually the list doesn't seem to be very active about
> it)

Both are suboptimal options. A fork is a bad thing and unfortunately
you seem to be caught in its consequences.

A third option would be for you or your company to jump in an
contribute to the re-integration of xmlform.org into Cocoon, by
refactoring what's here to use the xmlform.org components as external
libraries (provided the xmlform.org license allows it, but I think it
is the case).

If this happens, xmlform.org would be in the same position as Chaperon
and jfor for example, which (try to) live outside of Cocoon but are
used here through clean interfaces.

A fourth option, depending on where you're at in your project, would be
to contribute to the new woody form stuff that is being developed and
looks to me like it will get more support from the Cocoon team, due to
the community wounds created by the xmlform fork (that's how I see it
personally, not speaking for the team).

This is Open Source - unless people "vote with their code" nothing
happens.

> I'm a bit worried about future.

Understandable, this fork is a sad thing, but the door is open for
people to help solve this.

-Bertrand