cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Pier Fumagalli <p...@betaversion.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE RESULTS] allow redirects in handle-errors
Date Wed, 07 May 2003 13:49:29 GMT
"Stephan Michels" <stephan@apache.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 7 May 2003, Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>
>> Folks,
>>
>> Here are the vote results about allowing redirects in handle-errors (see
>> [1]) :
>> +1 : Sylvain, Bertrand, Carsten
>> -1 : Stephan, Nicola Ken, John, Pier, Peter
>> -0 : Stefano, Torsten
>>
>> The result is clear : redirects should not be allowed in handle-errors.
>>
>> So I will undo my changes.
>
> Not so clear as you think, I thinking about to revert my -1.
>
> Especially one case, is not clear for me. For example if you have
> '**/*.gif' and you got an exception, and return a error page. In
> this case a redirect make sense? Or am I wrong?

IMVHO in that case it is wrong... Even Explorer ignores its stupid extension
mapping stuff and reverts back to a good Content-Type handling in case of
non 2xx requests.

> GET /test.gif HTTP/1.0
> Host: my.host:80

< HTTP/1.1 500 Server Error
< Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 13:43:01 GMT
< Server: Apache/1.3.26 (Unix) Jetty/4.2.9 (JDK1.4)
<
< [...]

What would you gain by the fact that you're redirecting to somewhere else? I
don't see your point...

    Pier