cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@codeconsult.ch>
Subject Re: FYI: Using Java to define Cocoon Flow
Date Wed, 14 May 2003 06:24:18 GMT
Le Mardi, 13 mai 2003, à 19:48 Europe/Zurich, Stefano Mazzocchi a écrit
:

<snip-agreement/>

> ...My point was another one: the use of javascript as a glue between
> components and solid practices, IMO, is the best of both worlds: weak
> typing for glue, strong typing for the components and the frameworks.

Sounds good.

> ...with mozilla getting solid and *very* adherent to
> standard, I forsee DHTML (that is XHTML+CSS2+DOM2+Javascript) to bloom
> in the next few years...

whooo - I'm still in "bad reputation mode" regarding DHTML but I'd like
to trust you on this one ;-)

> ...flowscript makes it verbose and hacky to write business logic in
> javascript. it *feels* wrong. Even at a script kid eye...

Yes - and that's a very valid reason to keep javascript as the main
Flow language here, agreed.

OTOH being able to write Flow in java might allow Sylvain (as you were
talking of him) to write smaller Cocoon-based embedded apps by not
having to include Rhino in the distribution.

Wild guess but I think alternate implementations can be good provided
there is a clear focus (like "standard for Flow is javascript, other
languages are available for special cases").

Anyway this is just (good) talk - let's wait for someone to come up
with an alternate language for Flow and darwinism will kick in..

-Bertrand