cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From John Merrells <merre...@sleepycat.com>
Subject Re: dbxml
Date Fri, 30 May 2003 22:31:45 GMT

On Friday, May 30, 2003, at 03:19  PM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

> Personally I'd very much like to see dbxml integrated with Cocoon in
> some way - as Cocoon processes XML natively it would make a lot of
> sense to be able to store it in an industrial-strength native XML
> database, which I assume dbxml is or is going to be.

Industrial strength!

> Does dbxml implement an industry-standard API (assuming there is one),
> or would a specific API be needed to interface with it?

There is a kind-of a standard API for XML databases, but it's not a
very good one, and
doesn't have the backing of an established standards organisation. So
the interface
code would have to be written to our dbxml API.

> The Cocoon xmldb block uses the org.xmldb API, but IIUC it is limited
> to querying databases.

I don't know anything about this, so can't really comment.

> Note also that  the Cocoon team would need to look at dbxml's license
> to see if it can be distributed with Cocoon. IIUC correctly from
> sleepycat.com, dbxml's license is viral unless one pays a license, and
> AFAIK this is not compatible with licensing requirements for an Apache
> project.

The license is open source... but prevents binary redistribution
without a license
from Sleepycat. This is how we fund the development of the code.

Who's the final authority for licensing decisions for the Apache
project?

John