cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From <Sylvain.The...@swisscom.com>
Subject RE: Status of XMLForm in Cocoon
Date Tue, 20 May 2003 11:38:48 GMT
Hi Bertrand,

In your opinion, XMLForm is going to be forgotten from the Cocoon team.

So, what is the best for people who use this solution at this time?
- go to xmlform.org, but we don't have Cocoon features anymore (is it possible to have both?)
- stay inside Cocoon but, as you said, the project doesn't seem to move forward (actually
the list doesn't seem to be very active about it)

I'm a bit worried about future.

Regards
Sylvain

-----Message d'origine-----
De: Bertrand Delacretaz [mailto:bdelacretaz@codeconsult.ch]
Date: mardi, 20. mai 2003 12:02
À: cocoon-dev@xml.apache.org
Objet: Re: Status of XMLForm in Cocoon

(I hate to talk about this as I have very little to do with it, but I
think Sylvain T deserves an answer - doing my best)

Le Mardi, 20 mai 2003, à 09:30 Europe/Zurich,
<Sylvain.Thevoz@swisscom.com> a écrit :
> What is the status of XMLForm in Cocoon at this time?

It's hard to say what's going to happen after the xmlform.org fork [1],
people are certainly less enthusiastic about this block since the fork
(I'm being slightly politically correct here I think ;-)

> Are the features of XMLForm standalone toolkit (www.xmlform.org) in
> sync with the Coocon module?

No, xmlform.org is currently evolving independently from Cocoon.

As Ivelin said in [1], "The plan is to merge more successful
advancements back into Cocoon", but I dont think any of this has
happened yet. Merging code wouldn't be a solution anyway IMHO.

There were also talks about cleanly modularizing xmlform so that it can
evolve outside of Cocoon while being used as an external library here,
but this has not happened either.

This is IMHO what would be needed for xmlform.org to gain support from
the Cocoon community (assuming personal issues are solved): be modular
enough to be integrated cleanly in Cocoon without having two codebases.

This is not the case today, and I'm afraid the gap will widen quickly
unless this happens, which would certainly lead to xmlform.org
disappearing from the Cocoon team's radar.

-Bertrand

[1] http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=104877211007088&w=2