cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@codeconsult.ch>
Subject Re: Should we catch java.lang.Error? (was RE: XMLForm and sitemap problem (fwd))
Date Thu, 08 May 2003 13:52:35 GMT
Le Jeudi, 8 mai 2003, à 15:05 Europe/Zurich, Bruno Dumon a écrit :

> ...So maybe it's better to go with the second approach then: simply
> send a
> 500 to the browser, log the error, and rethrow it.

In the particular case of a NoClassDefFoundError, I think it would be
good to report it to users as it is often caused by a configuration
problem that we'd like to explain as clearly as possible to the user.

But it might be dangerous, could cause infinite loops maybe?

Is it possible to include additional information (exception info, stack
trace) with the 500 error? If so it would be a good solution, even if
not visible in the browser we could tell users to have a look with wget
if they suspect they're getting an "invisible" error.

-Bertrand