cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Geoff Howard <coc...@leverageweb.com>
Subject [proposal] was RE: Backend cache invalidation
Date Tue, 27 May 2003 12:18:48 GMT
[the context for this is in the original message preserved
below]

Ok, I looked at this over the weekend, and I have good news
and bad news.  Starting from scratch it was pretty trivial
to create an Avalon component that starts up with cocoon
and subscribes to any number of JMS topics.  It's in a messy
state on my hard drive at home but I could clean it up and
commit it to scratchpad or as a block.

The problem is that since I did this last time there's been a
change in the Cache keys.  They used to be strings, but now they
are int.  This is a good problem because I think the solution I
cooked up before was based on examining strings and was a shortcut
while I thought about issue below. I didn't yet get to dig into
the new implementation, but it bears a discussion: what is a good
way to allow the outside world to report updates to resources in a
way that the cocoon cache can understand and act accordingly without
mixing concerns?

The cache lets you look up an object based on key, and if you have
a pipeline, you can get the keys from each component.  But it seems
we would need a new facility: components that wish to be uncached
from the outside world would need to report their dependencies in
a generic way (key value pairs?) and the cache would need to record
which dependencies map to which keys and expose methods based on
those dependencies (possibly only removeByDependency(key, value)? ).

I think this could be accomplished cleanly by:
1) Create a new Validity object that exposes a getDependencies()
method.  An interface would help generalize the contract with
the store.
2) a new Store implementation would internally map dependencies to
keys and expose removeByDependency(key, value).  The JMS component
then would call this method on the store in its onMessage() handler.

What do others think?

Geoff