cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Geoff Howard <coc...@leverageweb.com>
Subject RE: Backend cache invalidation
Date Fri, 23 May 2003 15:00:26 GMT
At 10:47 AM 5/23/2003, Peter wrote:
>Geoff Howard <cocoon@leverageweb.com> WROTE:
> > By the way, I've also just been thinking about a different
> > pipeline caching algorithm that would be "optimistic" or
> > "asynchronous" - if it's in the cache, use it without
> > checking validity first. Then, clean up later if it was invalid.
>
>Ah yes, a guy who used to work with me many years ago used to describe this
>as the "I'm sorry algorithm"....  For Cocoon checking validity doesn't seem
>to be heavy enough or present much in the way of locking issues that I can
>really see why you'd want to do this?

I like the sound of "optimistic" better ;)

Well, the $100,000 question is how expensive is that process, and the
answer wouldn't be too hard to test.  Unfortunately, I am not set up for
that kind of testing (and my current cocoon projects are no where near
the same level of traffic).  But I'd love to know the answer if anyone
finds out...

Geoff