cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Geoff Howard <coc...@leverageweb.com>
Subject Re: FYI: Using Java to define Cocoon Flow
Date Tue, 13 May 2003 20:15:19 GMT
At 02:16 PM 5/13/2003, Stefano wrote:
>on 5/13/03 7:21 AM Geoff Howard wrote:
>
> > I wonder - won't it prove useful having the benefit of inheritance and
> > import in
> > flow?? (which java would get you) You could then wind up with some
> common code
> > that can be reused in whole or in part for different but similar
> > tasks.  This has
> > always been a question in the back of my mind about javascript - it seems
> > like it
> > will force more copy-paste coding than would be healthy when working on a
> > larger
> > system.
>
>Javascript is not as powerful as an object-oriented language as java,
>that's for sure, but stating it doesn't allow inheritance is wrong.

But javascript lacks (someone correct me if I'm wrong) the inheritance
and extension rules of java -- everything is "public".  This was part of
what I was thinking when I wrote that.

>The flowscript allows imports to happen thru a call to cocoon.load(file)
>where file is the name of the script to load into the execution context.

[OT] Wish something like this existed in javascript...

<snip/>

>Note that I'm not advocating that use of inheritance for the flow, I
>don't think you'll ever need it, but .prototype is a very handy thing,
>IMO, the most important javascript feature.

This occurred to me also - that if business logic is held in helper classes
and
merely assembled and called by flow, the inheritance I was picturing would
normally
only need to happen there.

Geoff