cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Vadim Gritsenko <vadim.gritse...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: dbxml
Date Sat, 31 May 2003 01:07:29 GMT
John Merrells wrote:

> On Friday, May 30, 2003, at 03:19  PM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:

>> The Cocoon xmldb block uses the org.xmldb API, but IIUC it is limited
>> to querying databases.

Create / Delete / Update / Query. All is there. See for example
XMLDBTransformer.

It's called XML:DB API, by http://xmldb.org/

>> Note also that  the Cocoon team would need to look at dbxml's license
>> to see if it can be distributed with Cocoon. IIUC correctly from
>> sleepycat.com, dbxml's license is viral unless one pays a license,
>> and AFAIK this is not compatible with licensing requirements for an
>> Apache project.
>

> The license is open source... but prevents binary redistribution

Huh? As I read this (http://sleepycat.com/download/oslicense.html) one
can freely redistribute binaries provided that source is available
somewhere on FTP :)

These are important parts:
A)

 * 3. Redistributions in any form must be accompanied by information on
 *    how to obtain complete source code for the DB software and any
 *    accompanying software that uses the DB software.  The source code
 *    must either be included in the distribution or be available for no
 *    more than the cost of distribution plus a nominal fee, and must be
 *    freely redistributable under reasonable conditions.  For an
 *    executable file, complete source code means the source code for all
 *    modules it contains.  It does not include source code for modules or
 *    files that typically accompany the major components of the operating
 *    system on which the executable file runs.

B)

 * 3. Neither the name of the University nor the names of its contributors
 *    may be used to endorse or promote products derived from this software
 *    without specific prior written permission.

That's it. In plain english: don't swear by University(ies) name(s) (B)
and have a source code somewhere easily accesible (A).

Seems to me (==I'm reading license correctly) we can easily include
drivers to Berkeley DB XML without any issues.

Vadim