cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Vadim Gritsenko <vadim.gritse...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: [proposal] move stuff from scratchpad into the trunk
Date Wed, 28 May 2003 14:10:47 GMT
Christopher Oliver wrote:

> Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>
>> Christopher Oliver wrote:
>>
>>> FlowVelocityGenerator to replace VelocityGenerator
>>

>> -1 to replacing: FlowVelocityGenerator introduces dependencies on
>> org.apache.commons.jxpath and org.mozilla.javascript

Sorry, org.mozilla.javascript is not a problem, my fault: I was still
under the impression that it is optional stuff.

>> which where missing in original VelocityGenerator.
>

> Why is that a problem?

First we are creating blocks for more modular design and the next thing
is we are coupling everything back into monolith. I feel that's not the
right way to go.

We've got more than 5Mb worth of optional JARs (not counting blocks'
libs) and if you think one of them -- like jxpath -- belongs to the core
than we better poll opinions of all devs here and move it there.

>> Also, does it support functionality which is present in original
>> VelocityGenerator? I can make out of the diff that "objectExports"
>> are completely gone, and I'm not sure whether other features are
>> still there or they have changed.
>>
>> I'm +1 on extending VelocityGenerator but not at expense of breaking
>> compatibility. I.e., it should not be hard to include couple of more
>> objects in velocity context -- flowmap and continuation; and session
>> too -- but preferably this should be done without introducing new
>> dependencies or breaking existing templates our users may have.
>>
>> Vadim
>

> I agree that backwards compatibilty should be maintained. I don't see
> why it should be a problem to do that.

Umm... Can't link these two sentences together.

> Sorry, but I don't agree with your design on extending
> VelocityGenerator, however.

I had no design in mind; just suggestion :)
Anyways, what's wrong with it? How new design is better? Sorry if this
is described somewhere already -- just throw url in my direction.

Vadim