cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: [RT] Access to the object model
Date Fri, 23 May 2003 09:07:32 GMT
Marc Portier wrote:

> Sylvain Wallez wrote:

<snip/>

>> Hey, wait a bit ! We have to define first how the object model is to
>> be accessed from the context.
>>
>> I see two ways :
>>
>> 1 - the object model as a whole is accessible as a context entry :
>>      Map objectModel = (Map)context.get(CTX_OBJECT_MODEL);
>>
>> 2 - each of the element of the object model can be accessed separately :
>>      Request req = (Request)context.get(CTX_REQUEST);
>>
>> I don't like solution 1, as it exposes the fact that object model
>> elements are stored in a Map, which really is an implementation
>> detail (remember discussions long ago about defining an ObjectModel
>> class ?).
>>
>> So my preference goes to solution 2, which exposes directly the
>> elements of the object model, without caring if they are all gathered
>> in a Map, or independently set in the context though ThreadLocals, or
>> whatever implementation choice is made. Furtheremore, the Context
>> being already analoguous to a Map, there's no need, from the user
>> point of view, for an additional indirection (the map may however be
>> kept under the hood for the implementation).
>

> with you all the way,
>
> on the side, don't know for sure but maybe it makes sense to introduce
> at the mean time the pattern more formally so it gets used at more
> places in future (Map return from Actions comes to mind)
>
> I've always liked the pattern of get- set- remove- Attribute and
> getAttributeNames on the HttpSession, HttpRequest, and ServletContext
>
> (it's less hard to implement this then the full Map interface if you
> have something specific in mind, e.g entrySet() )

Hehe, this is a thought that came recently to my fruitful mind ;-)
Considering that the various "scopes" of the servlet architecture
(context, session, request) all share this ability to store attributes
and that Cocoon has abstracted them from javax.servlet, I was thinking
of an "AttributeHolder" interface that would provide the methods you
mention, and have Context, Session and Request implement it.

What can it be used for ? Well, there are a lot of places where
storing/getting a value is needed, but the storage scope of this value
is not relevant and defined elsewhere. Using this AttributeHolder method
could then be the needed abstraction.

>> Of course, if the object model is extended, e.g. with flow values,
>> this will mean an additional entry in the context.
>
> IMHO I think the main thing is stepping away from Map for these things
> in general, having this technique nested down on
> child-object-attributes seems quite innevitable?

Sorry, I don't get it...

>> And we will have a ContextHelper class, counter part of
>> ObjectModelHelper.
>
> maybe overdoing it:  but, if the pattern comes up we might even push
> up a Dynamic Proxy AttributeHelper for the general case and for reuse
> in user apps

Isn't this the AttributeHolder I mentioned above ?

>> Thoughts ?
>
> yes :-)
> hope I made them clear

Not totally ;-)