cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Vadim Gritsenko <vadim.gritse...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: Replace xpatch with xmltask? (Was Re: xconf tool, entity resolver, and new build options)
Date Thu, 22 May 2003 18:49:12 GMT
Geoff Howard wrote:

> At 12:54 PM 5/22/2003, I wrote:
>
>>> and to make it worse, Bruno just points me to this:
>>> http://www.oopsconsultancy.com/software/xmltask.html
>>> (license compatible)
>>

>> I'm assuming that was considered before xpatch was created and there
>> was some valid reason it wouldn't work for us.  Could anyone with
>> more info elaborate?  Still, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
>

> Just had a better look, and xmltask does look good. The one thing
> that is missing is an "unless" type mechanism, though it's not clear
> if it's needed.
>
> I'd be interested in other opinions about this.  xmltask is Apache
> license (that's compatible right? ;) )  Why bother continuing to
> brew our own when a good one exists?

Because we are emotionally attached to it ;-P
(We so long had no solution for modular build, a.k.a. "pseudo-blocks"!)

Summing up previous emails: +1 for ignoring DTD: that's the right thing
to do for a patch task. -1 for loading DTD dynamically from the
internet. Choose any task you want, but keeping current is preferred --
it's light, it's simple and does not require Yet Another Jar File.

<rhetorical> Why do we need to patch web.xml, anyway? </rhetorical>
:)

Vadim