cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Miles Elam <mi...@pcextremist.com>
Subject Re: if-modified-since and the CLI
Date Tue, 20 May 2003 23:28:47 GMT
Upayavira wrote:

>I recently sent this message, and got no reply - so trying again...

Sorry for the lag, I go to college during the week.  I don't check email
as often as I should on weekdays.

>I'm working on improvements to the CLI to enable it to generate
>pages only when they've changed. I've done this using the if-modified-since code
>added by Miles Elam.

Unfortunately, I don't know the CLI code very well (at all).  I was
under the impression that the CLI creates a static set of pages
according to the Cocoon sitemap declarations and a form of spidering.
I'm gathering that I am mistaken.  Why would the CLI ever invoke the
same URI pipeline twice -- and therefore make response modifications an
issue?

>I've implemented the isResponseModified() and setResponseIsNotModifed()
>methods in the AbstractCommandLineEnvironment, but for some reason, they are
>never called.

Unless there is a cached entry or the resource is a static file through
a reader, these methods will not be called in any environment -- they're
not in the code path in the uncached case.

>I presume they should be called automatically whenever a page is generated. Can
>anyone explain why they're not called, and what I need to do to get them called?

Can you be more specific about what you have in mind?  Getting 304s is
an implementation of a goal, not the goal itself.  What do you hope do
gain with the CLI and response modification info?

- Miles Elam