cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Portier <...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: Tests / Samples Code Coverage
Date Mon, 19 May 2003 07:30:49 GMT

Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
>
>> Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

>>>    http://nagoya.apache.org/~vadim/coverage-tests/
>>> (kudos to authors of schematron block for 85.7% coverage!)
>>>

>> Brilliant. What a useful tool. How do you see it being used
>> in an opensource project? Perhaps one committer occasionally
>> generates the reports, just as you have done today. Should some
>> of us pitch in some dollars so that we can buy this tool for you?
>>

> It's free for open source; if we decide to use it I can try and get
> license and setup some cron job to run it periodically.

>>> But it's real trouble to click through all the samples manually,
>>>

>> Not sure what you mean here.
>>

> To generate this "samples coverage report" you need to compile Cocoon
> with Clover (it instruments the code), launch Cocoon, click through all
> the samples, and Clover will collect and save code coverage into the
> file which is used to create report.
> I hint at the fact that automated tests (junit / anteater / whatever)
> are much better than samples for purpose of testing because they are
> automated - no need to click manually everywhere :)

I was thinking recently if the use of our cocoon-view couldn't be
a sensible way to automate those tests?

suppose we decide on some 'test-view' and let all the samples
declare some label that produces relevant XML rather then the
serialized HTML... somewhere in my todo is to have a look at
jwebunit which then might be a sensible way to hook up the tests...

we're not going to test the serializers then, but I would guess
that it would be up to the batik and fop (and other) projects to
be organizing those tests, and to a far wider coverage then what
our samples would achieve?

> Vadim

-marc=