cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Tests / Samples Code Coverage
Date Sun, 18 May 2003 21:40:39 GMT
on 5/18/03 2:25 PM Vadim Gritsenko wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> As we all know our tests are ... ahem ... lag well behind code
> development. Current tests code coverage of Cocoon is *3.5% *for Cocoon
> core classes and blocks classes (deprecated, mocks, test, and samples
> classes are excluded). For the graphical representation of this
> statement go to:
>     http://nagoya.apache.org/~vadim/coverage-tests/
> (kudos to authors of schematron block for 85.7% coverage!)
>
> When taking samples webapp into account, picture is brighter (*35.8%!*):
>     http://nagoya.apache.org/~vadim/coverage-samples/
>
> But it's real trouble to click through all the samples manually, and not
> all of them are working right now.

I'll tell you what: I think I really don't know where/how/when to do
unit testing. I'm perfectly aware of the importance of unit testing and
even up to test-driven development (TDD) but I really don't know what I
am supposed to do to write tests for the code we have.

And I think several others are in my same exact situation, just aren't
so open to admit their blatant ignorance.

So, if I had a simple hands-on howto on how to do this, it would be what
it takes to start making me write tests along with code.

[ah, no, don't cut/paste links on some all-encompassing unit testing
prasing document, just write what it takes for me to write a test in
cocoon *RIGHT NOW* and what the build system we have and people will
follow, otherwise, they won't. we are lazy, you know ;-)]

--
Stefano.