cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Gianugo Rabellino <gian...@apache.org>
Subject Re: invalid caching problem
Date Fri, 16 May 2003 12:14:22 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>>SUMMARY:
>>
>>Using <map:parameter name="expires" value="access plus 120 minutes"/>
>>in a Pipeline, permanently disables validity checking on that Pipeline.
>>

> does ir really permanently disables the checking or does it only disable
> the checking for 120 minutes after the first access?
> I think the first one would be a bug and the second one would be the
> intended behaviour (though I'm not sure).

You're definitely right: the idea of expires is instructing on one side
browsers and (reverse) proxies not to request resources in a given
timeframe *AND* Cocoon to explicitely ignore the cache validation
process and consider an entry fresh as long as the specified time has
not expired.

This is a feature then, but it could well be implemented in a bugged way
:-), and I take full responsabilty for that. However, the code is a no
brainer: given the cache key, the cache entry is looked up and its
configured expires evauated against the current time, so as long as the
cache key doesn't change there will be no checks.

Given that this behaviour is exposed only with FileGenerator (i.e.
changing an XSLT works as Jeremy want - which is BTW not the correct
intended behaviour: the idea is that the pipeline should be the same),
I'm wondering whether changing the XSLT timestamp changes also the
transformer key, hence changing the overall key value so that the cached
entry is not found anymore and no expires value is found.

I have little time today to investigate on the code, but I'll do my best
to track this down and help you out.

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino