cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylvain.wal...@anyware-tech.com>
Subject Re: FYI: Using Java to define Cocoon Flow
Date Wed, 14 May 2003 08:54:01 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

<snip/>

>flowscript makes it verbose and hacky to write business logic in javascript. it *feels*
wrong. Even at a script kid eye.

>if you allow Sylvain to use his eclipse to save him keystrokes on its java flow, he won't
abuse it, but newbies will, big time! and they will start writing a mile-long c-like flow
with a huge number of functions, some called by the sitemap, some implementing business logic.
Result: a total mess.

>So, sorry Sylvain, but I'd rather extend eclipse with a flowscript editor than turning
the flow to java.

This fully makes sense.

I ranted some time ago about the need to write some Java code to use
XMLForm, and now I'm willing to write the flow in Java.

Mmmh... inconsistent boy ;-)

Well, maybe not that much. My feeling in that in the end we will need both :

- JavaScript for its RAD abilities, for having a single language across
client and server, and to attract users coming from the HTML/PHP world
(a lot of potential new users) that can easily hack some JavaScript, but
are frightened by the idea of having to write a Java class,

- Java for java developpers : people coming from the J2EE world will
find JavaScript to be a "toy language" and will be reluctant to use
anything but Java and loose fancy features of their favorite IDE.

>This said, I won't stop people from exploring alternatives ideas and implementations,
no way, if that was the case, we wouldn't have the flow in the first place :-)

Yep. Cocoon is advanced research occuring in the open, and almost
instantly used in real-world systems ;-)

Sylvain