cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Fagerstrom <dani...@nada.kth.se>
Subject Re: Cacheable DirectoryGenerator
Date Wed, 14 May 2003 08:44:05 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I've updated the DirectoryGenerator so it is cacheable.
>
> The problem of this generator, is that the cache validity cannot be
> known until after generation. So the validity object returned to the
> pipeline is initially just a empty placeholder, and is filled with
> file names and modification dates during the pipeline execution phase.
> When pipeline execution is finished, the produced content goes into
> the cache with a validity object which is correctly filled.
>
> Et voilĂ  ! This technique can be used for others components as well.
> The first that comes to mind is the TraxTransformer to track sources
> included using the document() function.

Cool!

That takes us closer being able to use XSLT, XQuery or STX as a template
language, as discused in "The search for the perfect template language"
thread. Your solution is very neat, I spent some time trying to solve
the caching problem for the document function during the discussions in
the above cited thread, but didn't find anything as elegant as your
solution.

/Daniel