cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Regarding Excalibur XMLUtil and Store
Date Sat, 10 May 2003 13:23:49 GMT

Stefano Mazzocchi wrote, On 09/05/2003 23.34:
> on 5/9/03 11:41 AM Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>>Anybody against having Cocoon committers access the Avalon Component
>>CVS?
>
> Nicola: I don't want to receive tons of CVS messages from avalon just to
> follow one single excalibur component. People will end up unsubscribing
> and the community oversight is lost.
>
> I want to avoid this.

Ever heard of mail filtering?

> Making every cocoon developer an avalon developer would not change the
> picture by one single bit. The problem is not missing write access, is
> missing community oversight: that code is watched by people who don't
> care and those who should care aren't watching because the signal/noise
> ratio is too low.

So it's just a matter of having commit messages per component? It can be
done.

>>Or is moving things around just a way to /feel/ better?
>
> So what? what's wrong in doing stuff that makes you feel better?

It doesn't necessarily *make* things better.

Stefano, I feel more and more frustrated to see thing go back and forth
without any real change.

Remember the "fight" over the cocoon-decs mailing list? I said that it
would have given the impression of a split community. And I remember you
lengthy mail to fissuade me from voting -1.
Well, I also remember your post after some time that said exactly the
same thing and wanted to close it down.

Now about these components. When some stuff was ported to Avalon I said
that it was not right, that the people that care would have not had
access to it. Did anybody else really care about it? No, because the
ones that cared then were all Avalon committers. What has changed?

If we make decisions, there is a reason. There are always reasons for
doing things and for *not* doing things.
But we must resist from doing A because there is a reason, then going
back because there is another reason...

Question: do you *really* want to change the packagenames *again*?

If it's just about commit messages, it's a trivial technological
problem. Furthermore, Jakarta Commons gets *way* more messages that
Excalibur will, as soon as we move containers out.

Really, what's the problem?

I won't discuss this any further, because I'm getting tired at it. I
never helped in Excalibur, or in these Components, so I'm not that
interested in what happens to them.

This is MHO, that's all.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -