cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Should we catch java.lang.Error? (was RE: XMLForm and sitemap problem (fwd))
Date Thu, 08 May 2003 20:18:05 GMT
Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> on 5/8/03 7:30 AM Bruno Dumon wrote:
>
>>A method is not required to declare in its throws clause any subclasses
>>of Error that might be thrown during the execution of the method but not
>>caught, since these errors are abnormal conditions that should never
>>occur."
>

> Yes, but cocoon is a framework, so it's the pipeline components that
> should not try to catch it, but the framework *must* be informed about
> it so that framework administrators can do something about it
> (presenting a 500 for an OutOfMemory could be very bad marketing for us)

Out of curiosity, with some issues like the OutOfMemoryError, what
practically can be done?  I mean we have to create some pipeline
objects to send a response to the user, and it is obvious that garbage
collection has not done its job... possibly due to a memory leak
in the developer's application (not necessarily Cocoon).

What about the other errors that exist?

-----Chris Rock