cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Bug] Default-reader depends on JTidy!!!
Date Thu, 08 May 2003 15:38:06 GMT

Carsten Ziegeler wrote, On 08/05/2003 16.26:

> Steven Noels wrote:
>
>>Honestly, I feel non-obvious, hidden 'convenience behaviour' like this
>>to be rather awkward. The fact it is located in such an essential part
>>of our code without much evidence of it worries me a bit.
>
> I don't think it's hidden behaviour - it's a contract of the interface:
> the interface says "whatever you give me, I'll try to generate SAX events
> out of it".
> Removing the interface would change the contract to "If you give me
> XML I'll generate SAX events out of it".

Well, AFAIS the conract (of the Source) should be something like:

  - if the source is XML, give me SAX
  - if the source is not XML, give me a Stream

What becomes a problem is only this:

  - if you can make the source in XML, give me SAX

This is not a "source"==locator but a generator.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -