cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heini...@gmx.de>
Subject POI block samples
Date Fri, 02 May 2003 23:50:47 GMT
Hello,

----- POI samples -----

I want to reactivate the POI samples, but I have some problems with
them. I used the Gnumeric XML files from current 2.0 CVS. Using POI 1.7
2 test cases fail when parsing formulas. I added a debugging message on
which formulas the parsing fails:

regress.xml: Problem while parsing: IF(AND(C8:C1000),"ALL OK","BUG!")
on STDOUT: Error: ) Expected

test-math.xml: Problem while parsing: IF(D3=E3,"PASS","NO")
on STDOUT: Error: " Expected

The formulas look ok, so I guess it's a bug in POI in that version.

So I tried the 1.10 release. But using this I can't compile because of
changes in HSSFDataFormat in POI. Maybe somebody can help here?

And I think these examples are much to complex. They are between 22 and
73 KB. Who should go through these files to find out how to write any
stuff, e.g. date handling or special number formatting?

----- general problems with samples in Cocoon 2.1 -----

Another issue is the dependency on the databases block for the dynamic
samples. Is there any possibility for samples depending on 2 blocks?

Furthermore our "Hello World" section is splitted into core stuff not
depending on blocks and block hello world samples. This means the so
impressive "Hello World in 25 formats" section is distributed on
different sites.
With Tony Collen's words: "the fact that we were generating the majority
of those samples from the same "Hello World" document and transforming
them into all of the different formats was one of the things that made
Cocoon so cool back when I was first looking at it." But now we don't
have it.

----- POI block java code -----

And (to come back to POI) why has Cocoon so much POI specific code in
its repository? For FOP only 3 classes are needed for integration in
Cocoon, POI needs 112 (!) classes. Does everybody, who wants to
integrate POI in his own stuff, need so much code? Is this a mistake by
design or simply missing work on the POI project?

----- next steps -----

I will try to create simpler samples in the next days, at least for the
currently working samples. For the rest I could need some help.

Joerg