cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] allow redirects in handle-errors
Date Fri, 02 May 2003 13:23:19 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> This topic seems to be the most important one for years :)
>
> Anyway, we saw some people being agains allowing redirects and some
> people saying "I/We need this". So what shall we do?

I noticed two posts that were particularly interesting and relevant.
I don't have the links, so I will post a paraphrase:

1) "We have been doing this already, and it has been causing nothing
     but problems.  Trying to figure out if a redirect is an error
     or not is very difficult.  Trading a 30x for a 40x is not a good
     solution."

2) "You can use a proxy to do the same thing for you.  The proxy
     intercepts the error message and forwards it to the proper server."

So we have a testimonial that it #1 causes a problem, and #2 has a
better solution that will also help produce a more scalable
infrastructure to boot.

How about putting in the docs that we don't allow redirects in
"handle-errors", here's why, and here is how you can work around
it if you have a dedicated server for error messages....

-----Chris Rock