cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bertrand Delacretaz <bdelacre...@codeconsult.ch>
Subject Re: FYI: Using Java to define Cocoon Flow
Date Tue, 13 May 2003 05:45:56 GMT
Le Mardi, 13 mai 2003, à 01:15 Europe/Zurich, Stefano Mazzocchi a écrit
:

> ....I'll tell you what: if I had a java implementation of flow in
> cocoon
> *today*, I would still use the javascript version for these
> reasons:....

<snip valid reasons/>

I agree that for short flowscripts, javascript is very well suited,
concise etc.
(and aren't all flowscripts supposed to be short?)

What I find great though, is the fact that someone is able to come up
with an alternate language for the flow in a fairly short time (once
continuations are available in said language) - as I said in my blog it
is a testimony to the modularity and clean implementation of Cocoon,
Avalon and Flow.

It is certainly a good thing that the Cocoon team concentrates on
javascript for Flow - it works, there are samples, etc.

But alternate implementations should be encouraged IMHO, even if there
is a clear bias in favor of the "official" one. Having more stuff built
upon a framework always increases the quality of the framework by
uncovering more bugs and design problems.

-Bertrand