cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Dirk-Willem van Gulik <di...@webweaving.org>
Subject RE: [OT] What is OSS [was: Cocoon Stammtisch]
Date Tue, 20 May 2003 11:38:03 GMT

On Tue, 20 May 2003, [iso-8859-1] Arjé Cahn wrote:

> - If the codebase is not freely available (according to the 10 OSI
> rules), then it's not open source (== not OSI Open Source). - What you
> pay for should be the *support on* the open source software. This
> includes documentation, tools, updates, etcetera. It's like taking an
> insurance. You can't pay for the Open Source Software itself (that
> wouldn't make sense), but you pay for the support and security that
> someone will keep it running for you.
>
> Of course, this is our opinion. Discussion would be appreciated.

With that definition one will have to find a new name for open source
*based* software, like for example IBM Websphere, Covalent Enterprize
Server or RedHats Stronghold. I.e. software which is baed on open source
software; sticks to most, if not all of the API's - but adds small bits of
proprietary/restricted code. Whill still preserving enough of the open
source spirit to prevent vendor lock in - and to give assurances to the
customers that if the vendor goes bust; the critical parts of his
infrastructure can be replaced by the original open source components

Dw