cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Haul <h...@dvs1.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>
Subject Re: _esql_connection.connection should be public
Date Mon, 12 May 2003 12:27:54 GMT
On 12.May.2003 -- 01:41 PM, Enke, Michael wrote:
> Torsten Curdt wrote:

<snip/>

> > A much cleaner approach would be to obtain the connection outside
> > of esql and pass it to esql helper classes. (IIRC the helper classes
> > already provide such facility but it's not yet implemented inside the
> > stylesheet) ...or to create a new esql tag that returns the esql
> > connection. That way everything is still encapsulated by esql.
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> IMHO a new esql tag would be the best.
> If we make it outside esql we have to care about all imports and try/catch
> and what else is realted to java.sql.* in the xsp. This is not necessary when
> we make it with esql.
> If we create a new tag for returning the connection, I propose also to create a tag
> for returning a ResultSet and ResultSetMetaData.
> Than we have more freedom in manipulating/assigning all kind of DB related data.

Just curious: What requirements make it impossible (or too hard) to
use esql? A lot can be done getting / setting objects if the type is
unsupported. It gets more difficult with O-R types of course.

BTW there are esql:get-resultset and esql:get-metadata tags...

	Chris.
--
C h r i s t i a n       H a u l
haul@informatik.tu-darmstadt.de