cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <je...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Regarding Excalibur XMLUtil and Store
Date Sat, 10 May 2003 15:22:30 GMT
On Fri, May 09, 2003 at 04:26:59PM -0500, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> on 5/9/03 10:36 AM Peter Royal wrote:

> >>Better yet: put it back where they belong: here!
> >>
> >>Anybody against this?
> >

> > I'm -0.
> >
> > My only request is that, wherever the components live, that they be
> > buildable as discrete components, available outside of cocoon.jar
>
> Yes, I think this would be a good solutions for everyone:
>
>  1) cocoon keeps development of its own components
>  2) external projects can depend on them without needing the entire
> cocoon.jar
>  3) excalibur is pruned a little more
>
> Further comments?

-1 (non-binding because it's after midnight;)

Because:

 - It would require a package name change.  This would be, what, the
   fourth name change for this code?  I am really, really tired of
   tracing ClassNotFoundExceptions down to package name changes made for
   purely political/organizational reasons such as this.

 - XMLUtil and Store are tied to Avalon, not Cocoon, which is why they
   were moved to Excalibur in the first place.  Nothing has changed in
   that regard.

 - I'm suspect there are many Avalon users who are using these packages
   (particularly XMLUtil), who would not like to see it migrate.  I
   object to deciding the fate of an Avalon component on cocoon-dev,
   where such people don't even get to register their existence, let
   alone voice an opinion.

 - From what I can see, having the community somewhat separate from the
   code:
   a) isn't a problem (not many people work on this code)
   b) if it were a problem, could be easily fixed by granting karma to
   any Cocooners who care.

 - Did I mention it requires a package name change? :)  Really, I don't
   *care* where the code lives, I just want some API stability!

--Jeff