cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@indexgeo.com.au>
Subject Re: xconf tool, entity resolver, and new build options
Date Fri, 23 May 2003 03:56:31 GMT
Geoff Howard wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
>
> >Geoff, we cannot use the xmlcatalog from Ant because that
> >is in ant-1.6 and cocoon is currently ant-1.5.3
>
> I later ran across a comment to that effect elsewhere
> in the build...

That useful comment is what reminded me.

> >Anyway, Marc was closest to the mark with his suggestions.
> >We need to hook the entity resolver up to the parser that is
> >used in XConfToolTask.java
>
> Well, is there any near-term need for doing entity resolving
> in XConfTool besides this immediate problem with the web.xml
> dtd?  If not, then I think just doing non-validating xpatch
> is the right solution (at least for now).

As discussed in the answer to Marc, we are not even trying to
do validation. Whenever a doctype is declared in any xml file
then it has to be resolved just to parse the xml instance.

Most of the files that are being patched with XConfToolTask
do not have a document type declaration anyway, so it has
not been a problem. The cocoon.roles has an internal DTD
so no problem there.

> >We can re-use the resolver.jar that is shipped with Cocoon.
> >
> >I almost have it working here (he says hesitatingly) ...
> >will report back soon.

I did get it working - very satisfying.

> >There is one issue which may cause grief. We cannot redistribute
> >that DTD according to its license - we need to get "prior written
> >authorization of Sun".
>
> This what tips the scales IMO towards ignoring the dtd during this
> xpatch (for now).  The goal driving this work for me at the moment
> is simplifying the build/configure process (and simplifying the
> process of starting and keeping a webapp built on cocoon up to date).
>
> What do you think?

That we should find some way to drop the document type declaration
on the input file and, only if necessary, write it back on the
output.

--David