cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bruno Dumon <br...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: XInclude Transformer: XPointer expression with namespaces - see Bug 19423
Date Tue, 13 May 2003 17:53:50 GMT
On Tue, 2003-05-13 at 12:46, Torsten Schlabach wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> just wanted to make the list aware of bug 19423 which I updated today. I
> have researched this to a point where I feel it might be solved by a patch now.
> I am just now sure what the right thing to do would be.
>
> First of all, I did not quite understand the XPointer spec in one point. If
> I need to extract the body of an XHTML document called document.xhtml would
> the syntactically correct XPointer
> be
>
> document.html#xmlns(xhtml=http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml)xpointer(/xhtml:html/xhtml:body)
>
> or
>

> document.html#xmlns(xhtml=http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml)#xpointer(/xhtml:html/xhtml:body)

based on a quick look at the spec, the first one

> If there were more then one namespace, should it
> be:
>
> document.html#xmlns(xhtml=http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml)#xmlns(abc=http://foo/abc)#xpointer(/xhtml:html/xhtml:body)
>
> or
>

> document.html#xmlns(xhtml=http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml)xmlns(abc=http://foo/abc)#xpointer(/xhtml:html/xhtml:body)
>
> or
>
> document.html#xmlns(xhtml=http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml)xmlns(abc=http://foo/abc)xpointer(/xhtml:html/xhtml:body)

this last one (with optionally whitespace between the different parts).

Both questions can be easily answered based on section 3.1 from
http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/REC-xptr-framework-20030325/

> - The XIncludeTransformer is not using Xalan-J directly but relies on the
> Avalon framework. Does anyone know if the Avalon Framework has any parsing of
> XPointer (not: XPath) implemented already so it could be used?

I don't think so. (but there might be xpointer implementations available
from other places)

> - Do we need to go through Avalon to call Xalan from Cocoon? What's the
> value add in that?
>
> Please also read the comments on the bug as a background.
>
> Torsten
>
> P.S.: Talking process: I had submitted the bug some time ago, but nothing
> happened at all. I changed the state to "Assigned" but I am not sure if I am
> allowed to do so? Who is the authority to decide wether a bug is a bug or not
> (and maybe close it or mark it duplicate).

AFAIK everyone can do everything, there's no authority.