cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bruno Dumon <br...@outerthought.org>
Subject Re: [Bug] Default-reader depends on JTidy!!!
Date Thu, 08 May 2003 14:23:03 GMT
On Thu, 2003-05-08 at 15:26, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Bruno Dumon wrote:
> >
> > Hmm, for the xmlizer, it's still not like I expected it to be.
> >
> > The dependency moved out of the core, but the xmlizer will still be used
> > transparently (if the html block is enabled). Would you mind if it is
> > removed completely?
> >
> Yes :)
>
> Now, the "trick" is that the cocoon provides a toSAX method in the
> cocoon source resolver interface. This method makes internally the
> test against XMLizable and - if the object is not XMLizable - uses
> the XMLizer component.
>
> I think this is a very usefull feature, because whatever Source object
> you have, you always get SAX events (ok, this is of course only
> true for the supported mime-types).
> And I personally really like this transparent handling.
>
> But I see the point, so one solution is to not use the above mentioned
> toSAX() method whenever the transparent handling is not wanted.
>
> If, however, I'm the only one who thinks that the use of the xmlizer
> is in some situations usefull, we could discuss to remove it completly.
> But I personally doubt that I'm the only one :)

Well, I don't know anymore. Now that I know about this behaviour, it
doesn't bother me that much anymore. But for people who don't know about
it, it will still cause confusion.

We should at least document this very well in the FileGenerator, and add
a parameter to the FileGenerator to disable this behaviour. And maybe
make it disabled by default, since you would probably be using the
HTMLGenerator anyway if you want to parse HTML.

But lets hear if others have anything to say about this...