cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bruno Dumon <br...@outerthought.org>
Subject Should we catch java.lang.Error? (was RE: XMLForm and sitemap problem (fwd))
Date Thu, 08 May 2003 12:30:58 GMT
On Thu, 2003-05-08 at 12:20, Stephan Michels wrote:
> I can reproduce the blank page in case of a java.lang.Error. So,
> there is the best place to handle them? In the pipeline implementation?
> Or should they be handled by the container?

I would treat them like exceptions, so that something meaningful can be
done with them in the handle-errors.

Or at least we should catch them in the CocoonServlet class, and send a
500 to the browser.

As background info, here is what the javadoc for the Error class says:

"An Error is a subclass of Throwable that indicates serious problems
that a reasonable application should not try to catch. Most such errors
are abnormal conditions. The ThreadDeath error, though a "normal"
condition, is also a subclass of Error because most applications should
not try to catch it.

A method is not required to declare in its throws clause any subclasses
of Error that might be thrown during the execution of the method but not
caught, since these errors are abnormal conditions that should never
occur."