cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Conal Tuohy" <Conal.Tu...@vuw.ac.nz>
Subject RE: XPathDirectoryGenerator
Date Thu, 29 May 2003 00:45:58 GMT
> Torsten Knodt wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I'm currently working on my patchset of the week ;). One
> part is a modularized
> > DirectoryGenerator. The only what is currently not included is the
> > XPathDirectoryGenerator. As it can simply be simulated by
> XInclude, why
> > having the code doubled? Or have I understood something
> wrong with this
> > thing?

> From: Gianugo Rabellino [mailto:gianugo@apache.org]

> I don't see how you might simulate the behaviour with
> Xinclude. The idea
> of the XPathDirectoryGenerator is returning a list of all the XML
> resources living in a given directory matching a given XPath
> (mimicking
> on a filesystem what an XPath query would do on a XML database). How
> would you do that with Xinclude?

My understanding of XPathDirectoryGenerator is that it generates a directory listing containing
the xpath-matching fragments of each file.

It's true that you could use an ordinary DirectoryGenerator, transform the dir:file elements
to xi:include elements with @href="{@name}#xpointer(blah/blah)", then transform with xinclude
transformer. So this would effectively mimic XPathDirectoryGenerator. But I think a single
XPathDirectoryGenerator would be a lot simpler, and worth having.

Con