cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Hibernat2 block
Date Sat, 19 Apr 2003 16:05:56 GMT
on 4/19/03 4:25 PM Giacomo Pati wrote:

> On Sat, 19 Apr 2003, Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>

>>Giacomo Pati wrote:
>

> <snip/>
>
>>>Anybody intressted in this? Can I donnate and add a block for it?
>>>

>>This looks very cool, but... Hibernate is LGPL, and as such cannot go
>>into an Apache repository :-(
>

> I know, I thought this is what the mock classes are for, right?

Yeah, well, too bad the LGPL is viral to those mock classes since they
are *derivative work* or the originals and they can't be placed under an
apache license without violating it.

So, the stall is:

 1) the ASF doesn't want *GPL code in CVS (expecially for java where
there is no clear definition of 'library')

 2) *GPL code doesn't allow *any* kind of modification or derivative
work to happen in a non-GPL license.

result: we'll have to ship those blocks from outside the ASF. and I
think cocoondev.org makes perfect sense for those things.

--
Stefano.