cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [FYI] www.ormaz.it usecase
Date Tue, 15 Apr 2003 09:39:45 GMT
on 4/15/03 9:41 AM Bruno Dumon wrote:

> On Tue, 2003-04-15 at 01:19, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>

>> 6) header/footer are not cincluded by they are 'wrapped' by a
>>'style.xslt' stylesheet at the end of every pipeline. This concept of
>>XSLT style wrapping is pretty cool and *much* more powerful than any
>>server-side-include paradigm.
>

> So if I understand correctly, you're using an XSL that basically
> consists of some static HTML with somewhere a <xsl:copy-of select="/"/>.

More or less yes.

> I'm rather opposed to such constructs, because those XSL's are usually
> quite expensive to execute, while doing mostly nothing.

True.

> If the pages can
> be cached, this is not really a problem, but on a dynamic site this can
> cause big performance degradations.

Again, true. Luckily enough, I didn't have any performance constraints
with this site since it will never get much load.

> The same wrapping behaviour can also be achieved by inversing the way
> you do the cinclude: instead of cincluding the header and footer, let
> the template page that contains the header and footer cinclude the main
> content.

Let me show you a use case:

 1) template 1

     <head>
      <title>ricambi</title>
      <link type="stylesheet" src="styles/ricambi.css"/>
     </head>

  2) resulting page

     <head>
      <title>ricambi</title>
      <link type="stylesheet" src="styles/main.css"/>
      <link type="stylesheet" src="styles/ricambi.css"/>
     </head>
         .... header stuff ...
         ... body ...
         .... footer stuff ...

there is no way cinclude can achieve the above. the use of the
'cascading' property of CSS asks for a better mode of styling. I suggest
that wrapping is much better suited for this than fragment inclusion.

--
Stefano.