cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [proposal] rethinking distribution strategy
Date Mon, 14 Apr 2003 08:45:23 GMT
on 4/14/03 8:15 AM Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> +1 for releasing 2.1 beta 1 asap.
>
> There is only one minor problem: I don't have time to prepare
> the release right now due to some work load and the easter
> holidays :)

No probs, but maybe you could post the detailed instructions on how to
do it so others might just in and help :-)

> So, I could release on the 28th or 29th of april - from that
> date on it should be possible for me to do a release every
> week if required, so we will not get a delay in releasing
> any following version.

A release every one/two weeks seems perfect IMO. A very nice balance
between consistency and evolution.

> It's a good idea to get the beta out of the door right now
> even if something is not finished yet, but I want to remind
> that if we have severe bugs/problems in a released beta,
> this will not help cocoon to enter "new homes".

I have the impression that this is a catch22 situation: we know there
are bugs, but nobody really cares if not from an elegance POV.

if you get the bugs out, people will start be *bugged* by them (that's
what a bug does: bugs!) and will hopefully help us patch them or, at
least, put enough pressure on those to blame to fix them.

I really think we should stop behaving like a commercial software house:
all software has bugs and there is no way out.

what you can change is the perception of your managers and this is much
easier to do than it seems: just change "alpha" to "final" without
changing anything else.

I've done it several times for Cocoon 1.x and nobody ever noticed :-)

> Is the above proposed release date ok for everyone?

I think it would be much more scalable for everyone here if the release
manager was not a single person but a process that any committer knows
how to follow. That will also help increase the frequency since that
removes the pressure from you.

What do others think?

--
Stefano.