cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RT] improving the session concept
Date Wed, 09 Apr 2003 20:22:59 GMT
on 4/8/03 5:14 PM Geoff Howard wrote:

>>>Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>

> <snip/>
>
>>it will be nice if the flow could wrap around the session objects and
>>provide a way to add hooks to the sessione events and this simply with
>>using the servlet API.
>

> I think this thread may be answering a question I was getting
> ready to pose about continuations and load balancing.
>
> In a scenario with multiple servlet containers sharing session
> information, is it possible now to share continuation information
> across those containers?

currently is not possible (AFAIK).

> If not, what paths to make that possible exist?

maybe store the continuation into the session? I don't know, just
thought about it but since the continuation is a real native object of
the javascript engine, it should be fully serializable. this means it
can be transported from a clustered machine as much as any other data.

of course, the concept of having a jsession-id-aware load balancer up
front holds true for this as well, but if you need to replicate those
sessions around your machines (for whatever reasons) the virtualization
provided by having a javascript engine allows us to ship the
continuation (which is, in short, the rest of the program to execute) to
the other machine.

but don't ask me how big (in data size) a continuation is because I have
no idea.

But I'm sure Chris will be able to answer the question with much more
details.

--
Stefano.