cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Giacomo Pati <giac...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [proposal] rethinking distribution strategy
Date Sat, 12 Apr 2003 13:11:12 GMT
On Fri, 11 Apr 2003, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> Let's face it: we suck at releasing early and often.

Absolutely.

> We are plagued by the fear of breaking contracts, so we release only
> when we are absolutely positive those contracts won't break. Which
> normally means "never".
>
> So, the result is that we don't acquire the user feedback that allows us
> to shake those contracts and see how solid they are.
>
> Result: stall.
>
>                                  - o -
>
> I propose the following:
>
>  1) release Cocoon 2.1 beta *RIGHT NOW*. This means package what we have
> and shipt it. No cleanup, no todo list, no docs to add, nothing. Just
> "build dist" and go go go.

+1

>  2) change the meaning of "beta" from "API solid, code somewhat shaky"
> to "code solid, API somewhat shaky".
>
> What does it mean for users:
>
>  a) they get a release we consider stable in code (in fact cocoon
> 2.1-dev is pretty damn rock solid from a code point of view, I never had
> a failure in months and many are using it in production with no problems)

I can confirm that, too. We use CVS 2.1 versions in production environment and
never had one single failure since.

The only thing that is not working from time to time are some cocoon samples
which gives the wrong impression (have a look at lenya, they suffer from the
same case).

>  b) they get to try out the new features and get their hands dirty, but
> we warn them that they might require some finetuning. This shouldn't be
> a big problem since it will take months for them to base anything on
> production on the new features and by then we'll have released the final
> version.

+1

> What does it mean for developers:
>
>  a) we finally get this thing out of the door and feel releaved.

Yea, finally.

>  b) user feedback will help us polish our contracts much more than we
> can do ourselves talking between us only

+1

>  c) the stall is broken

And this is the important issue. After that we will sure do releases every other
week ;-)

Giacomo