cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephan Michels <step...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Bug] default reader depends on JTidy!!!
Date Tue, 22 Apr 2003 08:54:36 GMT

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> I found out that the default reader uses the source resolver, which uses
> an XMLizer, which uses JTidy if the resource extension is HTML.
>
> Note that people previously didn't notice becuase the build was not
> modularized but now that I install only the blocks I know my setup
> depends on, I find it annoying that I can't serve HTML files straight
> from disk.
>
> Not counting the huge overhead that jtidy imposes when I just want to
> read that file from disk without processing it.
>
> Admittedly, cocoon should not be reading HTML files from disk directly
> (the webserver should be doing it), but it's nice to do it locally and
> then setup the proxypass configurations to optimize those servings on
> production.
>
> The workaround is to change the extension of the HTML file on disk to
> something else.

I think the concept of the XMLizer failed, because it's obsolete. If
you are writing a 'xmlizer' for our own format, you will almost
write a generator. And you doesn't have a mime-type mapping everywhere.
For example the mime-type mapping doesn't work in the CLI.
At moment if you use Cocoon in a servlet environment, JTidy is used
for *.html, but in the CLI the default 'xmlizer' is used.

I think you should avoid that by removing the xmlizer concept. We do have
several genertor for the different formats.

<generator type="file" src="{1}.xml"/>
<generator type="html" src="{1}.html"/>

What do you think?