cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Stephan Michels <step...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Issues with chaperon
Date Mon, 07 Apr 2003 10:36:33 GMT

On Sat, 5 Apr 2003, Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:

> We were very picky with Ivelin and his move to factor out xmlform, but
> I'm going to be as well with Chaperon.
>
> There are few things that I don't like:
>
> 1) copyright is given to the ASF.
>
> While I *do* appreciate the intention, the ASF's policy cannot allow
> this (I'm going to be picky on those things, so be prepared in case you
> host stuff with the ASF copyright which are not hosted on
> ASF-infrastructure-driven hosts)
>
> As a short term solution, I would suggest to change the copyright sign.
> [the license is fine]

Can you please give me a pointer, I'm a bit lost? Do you mean in
LICENSE.chaperon ?

> 2) chaperon is impossible to add to gump because it imposes circular
> dependencies.
>
> this is a general indication of a bigger problem: chaperon *includes*
> its own cocoon-dependent classes.
>
> this is a big issue: as far as it's nice to see libraries that can be
> used in other contexts factored out (xmlform, poi, chaperon, fop,
> batik... we have tons of them), all the cocoon-related components (all
> those importing org.apache.cocoon.* stuff, for example, should remain
> inside the cocoon CVS, in this case, into the chaperon module.
>
> Why?
>
> well, if not, cocoon will depend on chaperon and chaperon will depend on
> cocoon. And this breaks gump.
>
> I'm *SICK* of updating the gump.xml descriptor for everytime the
> chaperon library snapshot is updated and imported in CVS.
>
> Sure, I could keep on nagging Stephen everytime he updates the jar, but
> this is just an indication of a bigger problem: circular dependencies
> are evil and show a sign of bad architecture or, in the best case, lack
> of cooperation.

It's not a bad architecture, it's a evolution stage. The components
were originally developed within the Chaperon project, and were moved
to Cocoon.

And yes, I will removed the cocoon dependency of the Chaperon lib.

Stephan.