cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From mratl...@collegenet.com
Subject RE: Woody
Date Thu, 24 Apr 2003 22:42:55 GMT

Increased usability is it's own use-case?  Moving traditionally server-side
behaviors to client creates much more useful forms.  Isn't that the idea of
XForms?  This form:
      http://www.applyweb.com/public/contribute?cmsccard
checks errors and performs aggregation (subtotalling) as it goes along,
which is much more usable than if it round-tripped to the server for this
behavior.  Here, breaking the users "flow experience" costs the customer
money (in abandoned contributions).

The "tricky bit" is to automatically generate such client-side behavior
from the same abstract representation used to generate server side
behavior.  A perhaps impossible goal, but each step taken in this direction
makes forms that much more usable.

--Michael

                      "Geoff Howard"

                      <cocoon@leveragew        To:       <cocoon-dev@xml.apache.org>

                      eb.com>                  cc:

                                               Subject:  RE: Woody

                      04/24/03 03:05 PM

                      Please respond to

                      cocoon-dev

<snip/>

> > Hmmm... if you happen to develop complex forms, users (in my
> experience)
> > will eat you alive if you don't provide them with fast feedback and
> > "reactive" forms :(
>
> Depends a lot on the use-case of course. I guess these are mostly on
> intranets? If anyone knows of a good public example, I'd be interested
> to see it.
>
> Also, when I'm saying it's not a high priority for me, it means that I
> probably won't be doing any coding on it in the short-term, but I'll
> keep it in mind when making design decissions.

Use-case: you have a complex form, and a user on a slow dial-up who doesn't
want
to have to round trip the page just to find out that they mistyped their
email
address.  Even worse if it was a multi-part file upload of a 1meg document!

Geoff